Hey everyone! Today I have a LOT of exciting stuff for you! I get to talk to you about Monster.com's new professional networking career tool, BeKnown, give you my tips for looking your best during a job interview, and launch an "Interview Survival Kit" giveaway for you!
Whew! Sounds like a lot, but it's gonna be awesome, so let's get started, shall we?!
First up: BeKnown. Monster.com recently launched BeKnown, a professional networking app for Facebook. Since young professionals spend more time on Facebook than any other networking site, Monster wanted to give young people the opportunity to network professionally within the world’s largest and most popular social network. BeKnown allows you to set up a professional profile directly on Facebook that is completely separate from your personal Facebook page (think along the lines of a network within a network). It also lets you conduct a job search of Monster's database of jobs without ever leaving BeKnown or Facebook. By tapping into the networks of their Facebook friends, young professionals can easily connect, send messages, and see who among their existing contacts is connected to a company or job opportunity they are interested in.
You can take a quick guided tour of the app and find out how it works. Once you join, your job history from your Facebook profile is automatically imported, so it's a good idea to have it as up to date as possible. Based on your job history and interaction with the app, you can even start earning fun badges!
Here's what my BeKnown page looks like. I just joined, so it's a little lacking.. but feel free to add me! :)
|Click to enlarge.|
Links to access the app are below:
Mobile apps (only accessible from your mobile phone)
- - - - - * - - - - -
So you've joined BeKnown and landed an awesome job interview! ...Now what? Here are my tips to ensure that you're interview ready...
INTERVIEW PREP TIPS
- Your clothes should always fit appropriately, and be clean and wrinkle-free.
- Make sure that your clothes play a supporting role.
- Never confuse an interview with a social function. Don't dress for a party or date.
- Dark neutral colors (navy, black, grey) and solids or very subtle prints are best.
- Wear closed-toed shoes without platforms or very high heels.
- Wear minimal, classic jewelry.
- When in doubt, dress nicer than you think you need to and always try to project a classic image.. unless you're working in a creative or fashion forward industry and know originality would be appreciated.
- For instance, what I wore to my interview for my current job (beauty industry) is very different from what I would have worn to an interview at a bank or a law firm.
- Hair should be neat and clean.
- Long hair should be pulled back with a clip or on a styled ponytail or updo.
- If you have bangs, be sure to pin them back. Nothing is more distracting than watching you constantly brush hair out of your face!
- Use hair spray to tame fly-aways to achieve a perfectly polished image.
- Honestly? As much as I love fragrance, skip it. Yes, even your "signature scent." You run the chance of having an interviewer who either absolutely hates what you're wearing or is allergic to fragrances. Either way, it wouldn't be a favorable impression.
- While short nails are generally preferred, just make sure they are clean and well-manicured.
- No hang nails, or polish on your cuticles and use lotion to make your hands soft and look hydrated!
- Pick neutral, solid polish shades. Some of my favorites include:
|OPI's Sweet Heart|
- Go for a classic, naturally enhanced look. Like yourself, but "better."
- Make sure your foundation, concealer, powder and blush are all fully and properly blended.
- Choose blush over bronzer. It will look more natural.
- Stick to neutral, mostly matte shades of brown, tan and cream for shadow colors. A little shimmer is okay, but too much fails to give off a professional image.
- Mascara is a must, but avoid liquid liner (it looks too severe) and opt for a thin line of either pencil, kohl liner, or shadow in navy, grey or brown instead of black.
- Use lipstick instead of gloss. It looks more formal, age-appropriate and will last longer.
- Tweeze any stray brow hairs and use gel to keep them looking neatly groomed.
- - - - - * - - - - -
INTERVIEW SURVIVAL KIT GIVEAWAY
And now the stuff you've all been waiting for! To promote BeKnown and give you a great kick-start to nailing your next interview, TWO lucky winners will each receive an "Interview Survival Kit"!
The giveaway will end at 11:59 PS EST on December 21st, and winners will have 24 hours from my email to claim their prizes. If they have not claimed their prize within 24 hours, they will forfeit it and another winner will be chosen instead.
This giveaway is open to US Residents 18 year or older only, and contains the following goodies:
- Benefit Cosmetics -- "I'm Glam, Therefore I Am" Limited Edition Palette
- A Professional Business Card Holder
- $10 Starbucks Gift Card
You must either follow @BeKnown on Twitter or...
Join the BeKnown App on Facebook and then search for my name and connect with me so that I can verify you've joined!
Or you can do both and get two entries!