It's been so long since I've done leopard print nails, and I decided it was time to give them another go! I also wanted to try these because I was curious to see how a Sharpie would work for nail art. The verdict? Pretty darn well, actually! Although it does smear just a little bit, but not enough to be detrimental to the design.
For this design, I did 9 pink leopard nails and only did the one silver accent nail. For the accent nail, I just inverted the colors of the spots and used both pinks instead of the pink and silver. Also, sorry that I don't have sunny holo pics for you this time.. It was completely cloudy all day.
Oh, and in case you're wondering.. I have Wet N Wild's 'How I Met Your Magenta' on my toes! It's the perfect mani/pedi combo! ♥
- OPI DS -- Reserve (Holo Pink)
- OPI DS -- Coronation (Holo Silver)
- L.A. Colors -- Live (Foil Silver)
- Wet N Wild -- How I Met Your Magenta (Hot Pink)
- Black Fine Point Sharpie
- Dotting Tool
- L.A. Colors -- Base/Top Coat
HOW I DID IT:
- I painted all my nails except my left ring finger with 2 coats of OPI DS Reserve.
- I painted my left right finger with 2 coats of L.A. Colors Live and 1 coat of OPI DS Coronation.
- After waiting about 15 minutes, (and painting my toes with 2 coats of WnW's How I Met Your Magenta) I took a fine point black sharpie and drew leopard spots on all of my nails.
- TIPS FOR MAKING YOUR LEOPARD PRINT:
- Don't make full circles, make U-shapes with tiny dots. And try alternating your U-shapes so that some are on the top and others are on the bottom.
- Add in some tiny irregular dark "spots" or "squiggles" that won't get filled in with color.
- Most importantly... Don't let it be perfect! Remember that leopards are animals and their fur is never going to be perfect or uniform!
- But if this is your first time doing leopard print and you're still not sure what to do.. try Googling pictures of leopards for inspiration OR feel free to copy my design to get you started. :)
- For the silver accent nail, I used WnW HIMYM and OPI DS Reserve for the spots.
- - - - - * - - - - -
And that's it! I love this mani! It kind of reminds me of Barbie, in a way! As always, please let me know if you decide to try this design yourself. You can send me pics on Twitter or FB!