Ugh. So, I totally apologize for taking the ugliest picture of a human hand ever.. but since I've completely lost my left pinky nail, I have to take pictures of my right hand. And they don't turn out as well, apparently. :(
Anywho, I wanted to branch out and try something different for nail art and I read about newsprint nails online and thought they would be fun to try. I think they turned out okay for my first time!
- Sinful Colors -- Snow Me White
- ONYX Quick Dry Finishing Spray
- Found at WalMart
- Ulta Salon Formula -- Clear Top Coat
- 10 newspaper clippings bigger than your nails
- I used approximately 2" x 2" squares.
- Cheap, unflavored vodka if you are of legal age to purchase/consume alcohol
- Rubbing alcohol if you aren't.
- Small Glass
Really, which liquid you use is up to you but I've found that the vodka gives you a darker transfer of the newsprint. Chris and I don't drink vodka, so we tried to find a mini bottle that was unflavored, but we had absolutely no luck with that.We ended up buying a 750 mL bottle of super cheap vodka for $6, and that was at a higher-priced liquor store.
One last note: Normally, I would consider a finishing spray to be optional. Personally, I love my bottle and use it all the time. However, for this manicure, it really helps to flash dry your nails after you pull the newspaper off. If you wait for them to dry on their own, the newsprint can start wearing off very VERY quickly unless you seal it with a top coat as soon as possible.
HOW I DID IT:
- I painted my nails 2 coats of white and let them completely dry without cleaning up my cuticles. I also gave them a quick spray with the finishing spray before I soaked them in vodka.
- I cut my pieces of newspaper and poured vodka (or rubbing alcohol) into a small glass. You only need enough to stick your finger in so that your entire nail will be covered.
- These steps have to be done one finger at a time: Stick your finger into the glass and hold it in the alcohol for 5 seconds. I counted 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, etc.
- Place 1 square of newspaper on your nail immediately after removing it from the alcohol. Press it down firmly for 25-30 seconds, and make sure not to move it around on your nail.. Otherwise you'll have a big smeared mess!
- Remove the newspaper carefully. If you have a little bit of paper stuck to your nail, you can try to gently peel it off with a pair of tweezers. Spray your nail with finishing spray.
- Clean the nail polish and newsprint off of your cuticle which will give your nail a little more time to dry.
- Apply a top coat to your nail. If you have any newspaper residue, be warned.. your mani will become very top coat hungry!
- Repeat steps 3-7 to your remaining 9 nails.
- After all your nails have dried, re-apply another layer of top coat to all nails.
Really, it's not a hard process.. but I'm super OCD about my nails and I had to redo several of them because they were slightly smudged or not dark enough. Ooo, not being dark enough was my biggest irritation! And I still want to redo some of them again but I honestly just don't have the patience.
Anyways, they look SUPER cool and you could even switch the background color up and do any pastel color! I did mine last night and I've gotten tons of compliments on them when I went out today. If you decide to give these a try, let me know how yours turn out! I'd love to see them!
Happy reading... Your nails! Haha!