If you follow YouTube Gurus at all, you probably know of Elle and Blair Fowler. These dynamic sisters have recently launched a fabulous website (elleandblair.com) to centralize all of their tips and info. One of their recent blog topics detailed their "SHM" routines. What does "SHM" stand for you ask? Shower, Hair and Makeup, of course!
I thought it was a cute idea and a really fun read to see how other people get ready, so I thought I would share my own "SHM" routine with you. However, if we're being honest... mine is definitely more of a "SHMH," but I digress...
- While I'm waiting for the shower to warm up, if I have any eye makeup on I remove it with my Sonia Kashuk "Remove" Eye Makeup Remover and a cotton ball. Then I wash my hands and put my contacts in.
- The first thing I do in the shower is wash my face. During the day, I only use my Olay Pore Minimizing Cleanser + Scrub. At night, I use the Olay and then follow it up with my St. Ives' Blemish Controlling Apricot Scrub.
- After that, I grab my (pink!) loofah and my shower gel. Right now my daytime gel is "Lemon Vanilla" from Bath & Body Works and my nighttime gel is "Moonlight Madness" also from B&BW.
- Then I grab my razor. Well, actually Chris' razor... (I kept taking his so we just swap out cartridges now, haha!) and my shave gel. I'm not particular to a brand of shave gel, but I do prefer gel over cream.
- After shaving, I wash my hair with Dove Volume Boost shampoo. When I'm done shampooing, I squeeze as much water out of my hair as possible and then use the matching Dove conditioner on the bottom half of my hair. While the conditioner is in my hair, I take a wide-toothed comb and run it through my hair to detangle it.
- When my hair is combed, I rinse out the conditioner and squeeze out the water again. I turn off the shower and after I dry off and grab my robe, I wrap my towel around my head.
- Before I take my towel off of my hair, I use Clean & Clear's Spot Treatment all over my face to make sure I keep my complexion clear. If I have any major active breakouts, I use Clean & Clear's Persa-Gel 10 on the active spot(s).
- I give that a minute to soak in while I brush my teeth with Crest's 3D Advanced Vivid White toothpaste.
- When I'm done brushing my teeth, I use my Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Gel Cream on my entire face to make sure that my skin doesn't get overly dry from the Clean & Clear.
HAIR (Part 1)
- I take the towel off and use Johnson & Johnson Detangling Spray. Yes, even AFTER I comb my hair in the shower I still need to use a detangling spray. Then I use TRESemmé hydration creme and comb out my hair.
- After my hair is combed, I work Suave's Volumizing Mousse in at my roots and use my Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil Spray on my ends.
- Once I've set my part, I use my TRESemmé Heat Protectant Spray and blow dry my hair until it is about 90% dry. If I let my hair air dry even the slightest bit, it ends up looking greasy. I hate it, but it's a fact of life. Then I plug my straightener in and start on my makeup.
- The products I use vary so much day to day, I'm not going to go super in depth with this. However, the order I apply my makeup in never varies.
- First, I use my tinted moisturizer or foundation, followed by concealer and loose powder.
- Next, I fill in my brows.
- Then I move on to cheeks and do my blush.
- And then I do my eyes. If I'm doing full eyes, I apply my eye shadow base, eye shadows (4-6), liners (2-3) and mascaras (3).
- Lastly, I focus on my lips. I usually use my Palladio Lip Ink, but sometimes I opt for a liner instead. And I finish with an essence lip gloss.
HAIR (Part 2)
- Now that my straightener is heated, I pull the top 2/3ds of my hair up and clip it on top of my head. I spray the bottom section with my heat protectant again and straighten it.
- I repeat the process two more times, taking a third of my hair down each time. It takes about 10 minutes to complete now, since my hair has been chemically straightened. It used to take me about 30 with my natural hair and almost an hour when my hair was permed!
- Once my hair is straightened, if I'm going to style it, I go ahead and do that. If not, and I'm just going to wear my hair down, then I use my pink rattail comb to lift sections on either side of my part and at the back of my crown. I use my Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo to provide some extra volume and texture and then I tease my hair where I sprayed the shampoo.
- Then I get dressed, choose my jewelry and perfume and I'm ready to head out the door!
Whew! Are you tired from reading all that? I'm tired from typing it! I know it seems like a LOT... but I promise it's not! I have it down to a science and I can be out the door in 90 minutes. Of course, I don't go through all these steps every time I'm leaving the house. But this is my "complete" SHMH routine.
So what is YOUR "SHM" routine? Are you a "HSM" or a "SMH?" (Haha, ohhh... I love bad jokes.) Feel free to post your routine in the comments! I think it's interesting to see how everyone's routine varies.